Monday, July 15, 2013

New weekly blog topic....Monday Memories

In an effort to be more active with this blog I will be posting every Monday under the title of Monday Memories.



Monday Memories will be post about my own person history and memories.  Each week I will focus on a different topic such as my favorite toys to my memories of my Grandparents and everything in between.
If you would like to join me on Mondays and post about your own person memories of the topic of the week,  please do so!!, Don’t forget to add your link on Telling Their Tales for other bloggers to find you.

The topic for this week, and a fitting one I think, is “My First Memory.”

The earliest memory, or memories, I have all take place in late 1973 to early 1974.  I say memories because I don’t really know which is my “first” memory, but they all take place at the same location…..my Grandparents home in Novato, California.

Following my father’s death in September 1973, we moved to my Grandparents home.  My Grandparents were living in the Bahamas at the time and my Uncle, my Mom’s brother, was living in their home in California.  Being a sudden widow with five kids and no means of income my Mom took priority as needing the home and my Uncle moved to an apartment.

I have three significant memories from living at Drakewood Lane in Novato.   When we moved in I was about 10months old and walking and we lived here until I was about 3 years old and my Grandparents returned from the Bahamas.

One memory takes place in the living room.  I was standing between the couch and the coffee table when I saw a red candy on the table.  I clearly remember putting the candy in my mouth and immediately spitting it out.  It was Yucky!  I recall the candy falling on the beige carpet and leaving a little red stain.  As an adult I’m pretty sure the “candy” was in fact a red Sudafed.  I can remember I was wearing white and yellow footy pajamas.

The next memory takes place in the front entryway of the house.  Just inside the front door on the left side was the entrance to our kitchen.  I remember my older sister, who was about 9 years old, was standing in the kitchen entrance and I was standing in the front door entrance.  She had a coin in her hand and she was showing it to me.  Next thing I knew she put the coin in her mouth and “swallowed” it!! I can clearly remember feeling complete amazement that she was able to do that!!  As an adult I can identify he coin as a dime and I don’t think she really swallowed it.  My sister however does not recall this encounter.


My final memory from my very early years takes place in front of the house.  I was sitting on the book rack over the back tire of my older sisters’ bike, a different sister from the previous memory who was about 12 years old.  She was riding me up and down the street.  At some point my foot got caught in the spokes of the back tire!  I can vividly remember screaming in pain!!  My sister attempted to get my foot out, but could not.  Our next door neighbor, who had been tinkering in his garage came out and had to cut the spokes of the tire in order to get my little foot out.  My sister recalls this event as well and she remembers feeling absolutely terrified and so afraid she was going to get in trouble……although she can’t recall if she did or not and our Mom does not remember this event at all.

Do yo have a blog post about your First Memory?  Link up here if you do!!




No comments:

Post a Comment