Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Ancestors' Geneameme

I haven't posted in a very long time....just too little spare time these days.

I came across a blog today with a fun little activity I decided to participate in.  Visit Geniaus to participate.
The list should be annotated in the following manner:

Things you have already done or found: bold face type

Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)

Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

You are encouraged to add extra comments in brackets after each item
Which of these apply to you?

Can name my 16 great-great-grandparents

Can name over 50 direct ancestors

Have photographs or portraits of my 8 great-grandparents (I have 6 of 8.....both my paternal great-grandfathers remain elusive.)

Have an ancestor who was married more than three times (well, my great-grandfather was married 3 times exactly)

Have an ancestor who was a bigamist (well, in reference to the above Great-grandfather.....he got his second wife pregnant before he was divorced from his first wife...does that count??)

Met all four of my grandparents (both my paternal grandparents died long before I was born)

Met one or more of my great-grandparents (2 of my maternal great-grandparents died while my mother was pregnant with me.)

Named a child after an ancestor (Emily)

Bear an ancestor's given name/s (variations of.....My Great-Great-Grandmother was Christina, My middle name is Christine, My Great-Great-Aunt was Hilda, I am Hillary)

Have an ancestor from Great Britain or Ireland

Have an ancestor from Asia

Have an ancestor from Continental Europe

Have an ancestor from Africa

Have an ancestor who was an agricultural labourer

Have an ancestor who had large land holdings

Have an ancestor who was a holy man - minister, priest, rabbi

Have an ancestor who was a midwife

Have an ancestor who was an author (Great-grandfather was a famous song writer in the 20's & 30's.  He wrote Animal Crackers in My Soup, Shuffle Off to Buffalo and the J-E-L-L-O Jingle to name a few)

Have an ancestor with the surname Smith, Murphy or Jones

Have an ancestor with the surname Wong, Kim, Suzuki or Ng

Have an ancestor with a surname beginning with X

Have an ancestor with a forename beginnining with Z (Zachariah

Have an ancestor born on 25th December (a 1st cousin actaully)

Have an ancestor born on New Year's Day

Have blue blood in your family lines

Have a parent who was born in a country different from my country of birth

Have a grandparent who was born in a country different from my country of birth

Can trace a direct family line back to the eighteenth century

Can trace a direct family line back to the seventeenth century or earlier

Have seen copies of the signatures of some of my great-grandparents

Have ancestors who signed their marriage certificate with an X

Have a grandparent or earlier ancestor who went to university (University of Houston graduate)

Have an ancestor who was convicted of a criminal offence (Great-grandfather mentioned earlier spent 4 days in an Illinois jail for failure to pay child support)

Have an ancestor who was a victim of crime (not my line, but my husbands.......rape)

Have shared an ancestor's story online or in a magazine (Tell us where) here on this blog and at ancestry.com

Have published a family history online or in print (Details please)

Have visited an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries

Still have an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries in the family

Have a family bible from the 19th Century

Have a pre-19th century family bible

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Hillary, for joining the meme challenge. I'm so pleased that it gave you the impetus to blog once more.

    ReplyDelete